Jun 06 2016

Published by under EDPT

composit picture

Professional Goal statement:

My goal is to provide quality comprehensive care for a diverse patient population and participate in community outreach events to promote the health and well-being of all of our community members. In the future, I hope to advance my career in leadership roles as a mentor for future physical therapists, a clinical instructor, to become a faculty member of an accredited physical therapy program and to participate in research to contribute to the development of the Physical Therapy profession.

Career Plan:

May 2008: BA in Biology, Spanish, Agnes Scott College

2008-Present: Certified Yoga Teacher, Yoga Alliance. Certified Personal Trainer, AFAA

2010-2013: Bilingual Medical Assistant, Carrboro Community Health Center, Piedmont Health Services

2012-2013: Practice Manager, Carolina Integrative Healthcare

2013-2016: Doctorate of Physical Therapy, University of North Carolina – Chapel Hill

2014-2015: Operations Coordinator at Student Health Action Coalition (SHAC)

2014-2016: Anatomy and Special Populations instructor for Skill In Action, A Yoga Alliance Accredited 200 hour yoga teacher training program.

2015-2016: Complete Capstone: A pilot research study examining the effects of combining dalfampridine with physical therapy for gait rehabilitation in multiple sclerosis. Write an abstract and submit capstone research experience for presentation at a national conference or for publication.

July 2016: Pass the NPTE Exam

August 2016: Graduate with a Doctor of Physical Therapy from UNC

5 Year Plan:

Begin physical therapy career in an outpatient clinic with opportunities to use neuro and orthopedic evaluation and treatment skills.

Begin work as a clinical instructor for physical therapy students

10 Year Plan:

Complete either residency program or PhD in Human Movement Sciences to expand my expertise and contribute to physical therapy evidence based practice.

Begin work as a faculty member of an accredited physical therapy program

Self Assessment: Strengths

• Active member of the APTA, CSM attendee 2015
  • Previous experience working with a diverse patient population and developing excellent communication skills. I am skilled at connecting with patients, expressing empathy, and motivating them.
  • Spanish fluency: Experience working internationally in development and participated in 2016 Physical Therapy International Service Learning Trip to Guatemala.
  • Experience as an educator: Guest instructor for Yoga Alliance accredited 200 hour yoga teacher training program, Skill in Action. I presented on topics such as anatomy, biomechanics, yoga for special populations, and modifications for safety and efficacy of yoga practice.
  • Excellent skills in instructing movement with experience as a certified yoga instructor, personal trainer and group fitness instructor. I have gathered a large variety of treatment ideas through these experiences and also have gained a good understanding of how to modify therapeutic exercises and physical activity to be accessible for people at a wide variety of functional and fitness levels.
  • Motivated to provide evidence-based care for optimal patient outcomes.
  • Wide range of interests with an open mind

Self-Assessment: Areas of further development

• Orthopedic and Neuro PT evaluation and treatment skills.
  • Continue practice speaking Spanish through volunteer work and time spent with Spanish speaking community in the triangle and abroad.
  • Expanding knowledge of current research topics and Evidence Based Physical Therapy through journal clubs and electronic data base searches.

Objectives:

• Increase knowledge of orthopedic assessment and intervention by completing Advanced Orthopedic Assessment elective course and use knowledge in final clinical rotation.
  • Continue to use my Spanish speaking skills to serve the Latino population, both locally and internationally.
  • Participate in research project and publish research from capstone project.
  • Pass and sit for the Federation State Boards of Physical Therapy Exam in July 2016.

Specific Strategies:

• Continue involvement with training yoga teachers nationally and internationally.
  • Continue to assess my areas of weakness/areas for further development. Maintain relationships with mentors and choose Continuing Education courses to enhance my clinical skills.
  • Continue to participate in clinical research to further develop evidence for physical therapy.
  • Prepare a case study or abstract for submission to present at conference.
  • Enroll in continuing education courses to facilitate evidence-based practice.

DPT Project Examples:

Evidence Based Practice Critically Appraised Topic: Comparing The Effects of Therapuetic Yoga and Dalfampridine on Balance and Falls Risk in Patients with Multiple Sclerosis (MS)

HMSC Abstract

HMSC Poster

Reflection:

I am so grateful to have been able to study physical therapy at the University of North Carolina. The UNC DPT program has provided me with a solid foundation in anatomy, physiology, biomechanics, motor control and the importance of evidence-based practice. Throughout my time in this program I have been impressed over and over again by the expert faculty members who have been dedicated in contributing to the profession of physical therapy, have shared their knowledge, and helped enhance our experiences as DPT students.

During my first year I met with my advisor to discuss my clinical and research interests and ended up discussing at length what would end up being my biggest challenge throughout the entire program: choosing from what at times seemed like too many amazing opportunities! I came into this program with a broad range of interests and I have been able to expand on those interests both in and out of the class because of this amazing program. I have been able to volunteer and work with under-served populations through my work with the SHAC clinic, community health fairs, philanthropy and service trips both within my home state (Eastern North Carolina) and internationally (Guatemala). I have had the opportunity to hone teaching and presenting skills, and expand my clinical experience through exceptional clinical rotations. I have been lucky enough to participate in research and have gained a great deal from working with such wonderful mentors who have encouraged me to think of how I, too can contribute to the available evidence in field of physical therapy and have an impact on our profession.

Lastly, I have been so inspired by the commitment, support, kindness and professional achievements of my classmates over the last three years. I feel so fortunate to have been able to surround myself with such a wonderful group of people who have become my best friends and DPT family.

Comments Off on

Comments are closed at this time.